The Household Hazardous Waste program was started in 1994. Its main purpose is to divert hazardous materials from the landfill by providing a more appropriate disposal method. Household Hazardous Wastes (HHW) are common materials that you use everyday that may be harmful to you or to the environment if disposed of incorrectly.
Hours and Locations
North Household Hazardous Waste Facility
1311 N. 17th Avenue
Greeley, CO 80634
Open every Tuesday and Saturday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
South Household Hazardous Waste Facility
5500 Hwy. 52
Dacono, CO 80514
Open Fridays and 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Open the 2nd Tuesday and the 2nd Saturday of each month
(same hours as the drop off program)
What are Household Hazardous Wastes?
Many of the products we use everyday are considered hazardous. We use them to wash our floors, to keep our cars running, fertilize our lawns, and to make sure our gardens are free of pests. They can be readily identified by certain signals words such as Danger, Warning, Caution, or Poisonous, found on their labels.
The following is a short list of wastes accepted at our HHW facilities:
- aerosol cans of all kinds
- dry pesticides, herbicides, and other lawn and garden products
- flammable liquids, such as gasoline, mineral spirits, cooking oils, etc.
- poisonous household cleaners
- oxidizers such as bleaches (dry or liquid)
- acids and bases (dry or liquid)
- batteries including car batteries, small power tool batteries, and standard household batteries
- all vehicle fluids, including oil, antifreeze, power steering, break, etc.
- latex paint (if paint is completely dry or container is empty, the can can be placed in your regular trash – remove the lids)
- flammable of combustible paints, such as stains, polyurethanes, etc.
- light bulbs (see chart under additional information)
For a complete list, click on the Acceptable Materials link in the left hand column.
The Weld County Household Hazardous Waste Program will no longer accept drums of any kind from the public. We will only accept household hazardous waste in 5 gallon containers or smaller.
We will accept drums that we provide for community clean-ups for monitored bulking of oil, antifreeze etc.
As well, program staff will evaluate each load that appears to be in excess of 200 pounds of hazardous waste, or will cost more than $200 for us to dispose of, and determine if charges need to be assessed.
The Public will be given the option to pay for the amount in excess of a typical household quantity (200 pounds or $200 disposal cost) or to split the load up and only drop off the typical household maximum once per collection day.
The Household Hazardous Waste Program staff will have full discretion in making these decisions.
The HHW program can assist with the collection of household hazardous waste at your community clean-up event. We can provide guidance on how to collect the waste in a safe manner, a list of what wastes can be collected and brought to us, and we drums for collecting the household hazardous waste in. The waste brought to us from your cleanup event will be processed and disposed of for free (as long as it is waste that we accept).
If your community is interested in a cleanup event and you need further information please call 970-304-6415 x 2224.