Prevention, people and partnerships sum up the work of local public health programs. The main purpose of public health is to make sure all of us have the opportunity to be healthy in mind, body and spirit. Most public health work is population-based, meaning it focuses on improving the health of the entire community rather than addressing individual health care needs.
The vision, mission, values and position of Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment (WCDPHE) were developed with these ideals in mind. WCDPHE is overseen by an executive director. The Board of County Commissioners, appoints the department's director, who subsequently is responsible for the staff. The department receives about one-third of its funds from Weld County, one-third from State funds and one-third fees for services. The Health Department is organized into five service divisions: Administrative, Emergency Preparedness and Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Health Communication, Education and Planning, and Public Health Services.
Together, we are working to make Weld County
a healthy place to live, learn, work and play.
In partnership with the communities we serve, Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment preserves, promotes and protects the health and environment of the residents of Weld County.
What We Value
- The World Health Organization's ecological model of health which says: "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."
- The diversity of individuals and communities we serve and their differing approaches to health.
- What we do should assist people in addressing underlying factors that affect good health.
- Effective leadership.
- Being responsible stewards of public trust and resources.
- A diverse staff that is selected with care, treated respectfully, held accountable and encouraged to grow.
- Continuous improvement.
- Balancing science and practice with the wisdom and beliefs of the people we serve.
- Emphasis on prevention, health promotion and early intervention.
"Public health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organized efforts and informed choices of society, organizations - public and private, communities and individuals". Winslow, 1920
Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment is part of a local system that focuses on the following:
- Preventing epidemics and the spread of disease
- Protecting against environmental hazards
- Preventing injuries
- Promoting and encouraging healthy behaviors
- Responding to disasters and assisting communities in recovery
- Assuring the quality and accessibility of health services
Director and Leadership Team
Executive Director and Health Officer Dr. Mark E. Wallace, MD, MPH
Administration Director - Tanya Geiser
Environmental Health Services Director - Trevor Jiricek
Health Communication, Education and Planning
Director - Eric Aakko
Public Health Services Director Director - Debbie Drew